Temple Emanuel of Tempe Shabbat Services Offer Something for Everyone
Temple Emanuel is a community that loves to sing, pray, and schmooze together! The feeling and format of our erev Shabbat services varies through the month. We invite you to attend several and find the one that suits your mood and spirituality. Regardless of the week, Shabbat at Temple Emanuel is always highly musical and participatory.
You need not know Hebrew to participate! Services at Temple Emanuel are offered in a mixture of Hebrew and English. Our prayer book, Mishkan Tfilah, offers English transliterations for all prayers.
Our services are open to the public; all are welcome. Please call the synagogue with any questions.
January 2017 Service Schedule
First Friday Family Shabbat
6:30 pm Friday, January 6
9:30 am Saturday, January 7
7:30 pm Friday, January 13
Sadie Goldman Bat Mitzvah
9:30 am Saturday, January 14
Kabbalat Shabbat Service
9:30 am Saturday, January 21
Blayne Stewart Bar Mitzvah
7:30 pm Friday, January 27
Sisterhood Shabbat Service
9:30 am Saturday, January 28
Dylan Worley Bar Mitzvah
FIRST FRIDAY FAMILY SHABBAT:
- On the first Friday night of each month at 5:30 PM we have our special First Friday Family Shabbat Service. This service is designed for children (infants to age 6) and their parents. This is a half-hour service filled with music, stories, movement, and concludes with a family oneg.
NOSH AND ROCK SHABBAT SERVICE:
- On the first Friday night of the month at 6:30 PM we have our Rock Shabbat Service with our Shabba-Tones jazz/rock band performing. This service is approximately one hour including dancing with the Torah and a short story. Those who are celebrating a birthday during that month are called to the bimah for a blessing. At 6:00 pm a nosh is provided to offer you an opportunity to eat and unwind before the service begins.
NOSH AND TRADITIONAL SERVICE:
- On the second Friday night of each month at 7:30 PM we have our traditional service. This service typically includes Torah reading, a short sermon or d'var Torah led by the rabbi. There is a nosh preceeding the service at 7:00 pm.
NOSH AND KABBALAT SHABBAT SERVICE:
- On the third Friday of each month at 6:30 PM we have our Kabbalat Shabbat Service. This is an early service filled with music and kavanah. There is no formal sermon, nor a Torah reading. At 6:00 pm a nosh is provided to offer you an opportunity to eat and unwind before the service begins.
NOSH AND TRADITIONAL SERVICE:
- On the fourth Friday night of each month at 7:30 PM we have our Traditional Service. This Service includes Torah reading, a short sermon or d'var Torah led by the Rabbi. There is a nosh preceeding the service at 7:00 pm.
SHABBAT MORNING SERVICE:
- On Saturday mornings at 9:30 AM we have our Shabbat Morning Service which includes Torah reading and discussion of the Torah portion. Often there is a Bar or Bat Mitzvah during this service. The entire congregation is invited to join us.
GUIDELINES FOR SHABBAT DECORUM
- Children of all ages are very welcome at Temple Emanuel! Families with young children should sit near the door so that they can duck out easily if their child begins to fuss or make noise.
- Please turn off all cellphones and other electronic equipment.
- Manner and dress should be modest and appropriate for traditional worship.
- Please keep idle conversation to a minimum so as not to distract others.
- Picture taking and recording of audio or video is prohibited in the synagogue.
- All men are to wear kippot. Women are welcome to do so. Kippot are available at the entrance to the sanctuary.
- Jewish men should wear tallesim when on the bimah or interacting with the Torah; women are invited to do so. Tallesim are available for your use.
- We ask that you not enter or exit the sanctuary while the Torah is out, or the rabbi is delivering a sermon.
- Smoking is prohibited in the synagogue.