MOE raises funds for summer camp scholarships and Kiddush cups for Bar and Bat Mitzvahs. MOE contributes funds and time to Temple events. MOE provides social events for our members.
- Café Emanuel: Every Sunday that Religious School is in session. 0800AM-11AM. Enjoy a bagel and schmear and a cup of fresh brewed coffee while you chat with other Temple Emanuel members. Our bagels are from The Bagel Man, rated the number one bagel store in Phoenix by Yelp.
- Chanukah Raffle.
MOE Contributions (funds and time):
- 1st Day Religious School Breakfast: MOE sponsors a breakfast for all Temple members. Usually over 200 people attend the breakfast.
- Blood Drive: In conjunction with United Blood Services, MOE sponsors three blood drives each year.
- Fund and Operate Bar for Annual Temple Fundraiser
- Cook and prep food for Annual Purim Carnival
- Temple Janitorial Backup: Cleans the Temple when janitorial team is off for religious holidays.
- Monthly Schmooze: Enjoy bagels and coffee as you learn from an interesting speaker. Schmoozes are the third Sunday of the month, 0930AM to 1030AM. Past speakers have been a sportswriter from the Arizona Republic, an Amazon.com manager showing how your order is processed, and an epidemiologists discussing how the 10 plagues of Passover might have occurred.
- Monday Night Football: Night out to watch the first Monday night game of the NFL season
- Poker Nights: Texas Hold’em at the Temple three times a year.
- Cigar Night: At a local cigar store.
- Bowling and Golf Outings
- New! Shoot the Breeze Night: Just an informal night once a month to chat with other MOE members at a local bar.
We look forward to meeting you and hope to see you at MOE events.
MOE Sez: In the home stretch to MOE's 10th
By the time you read this, spring training will be just about over and pro baseball, our nation’s summer sport, will be playing games that count. Meanwhile, MOE’s programming year is wrapping up. Basically, MOE takes the summer off as members refresh themselves on vacation.
Looking back, it’s been a good year: MOE hosted two welcome back breakfasts for the community – on the first day of religious school back in the fall and then again after winter break; MOE held two successful blood drives with another on the way in April; MOE held another Hanukkah raffle, giving away another $500 Amazon gift card; and MOE held a variety of Schmoozes, poker nights, NFL nights and Shoot the Breeze nights to bring the men of our Temple community together in camaraderie.
In addition, MOE runs Café Emanuel to give the whole community – particularly religious school parents – a place to hang out with old Temple friends and make news ones.
Beyond covering expenses, the funds MOE raises do not stay with MOE. They go to fund camp scholarships to help Temple youths to strengthen their Jewish identity and for Kiddush cups to our b’nai mitzvah to recognize a job well done in learning their Torah portion and leading a religious service.
Finally, before we head into summer, it’s important to mention that MOE’s 10th birthday is coming up on Aug. 5. We thank the whole Temple community – rabbis, board, staff members and fellow congregants --- for the support and enthusiasm they’ve shown over the past decade. That support has helped make MOE one of the most successful, if not THE most successful, temple men’s groups in the country.
Purim effort: We’d like to recognize MOE member Karl Hermann for generously donating the food – kosher hot dogs and hamburgers, veggie burgers, chips, pickles, soft drinks and all the fixings – for the East Valley Purim Carnival held at Temple Emanuel on March 12. This way, 100 percent of the funds raised by your purchase of food tickets at the carnival went to the Temple. Also, thanks to MOE members who staffed the grill, served the food and took the tickets.
Sign Up Genius: Jeff Keene, our vice president of membership, has set up a SignUpGenius page for those who’d like to help set up our Schmoozes and operate Café Emanuel. Click this link and sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080c45aeaa238-caf