Temple Emanuel of Tempe is a vibrant Jewish community sustained by life-long relationships, excellent educational opportunities, and spirited fellowship. Since our founding in 1976, Temple Emanuel of Tempe has been a Reform congregation that honors tradition. We are an oasis for all who embrace … more
- This event has passed.
Sisterhood Lilith Salon
September 14 @ 7:00 pm
LILITH SALON for September 14, 2020, 7:00 p.m. (on Zoom)
ARTICLE: In My Persian Immigrant Family…How My Brother Mothered Me
by Esther Amini https://www.lilith.org/articles/fall-1976/ [note that the link is to 1976 – a reprinted article?]
While you’re reading this article, please keep this question in mind:
When you think of the term “mother” or “motherhood”, what does it mean to you?
1. In this article, the author talks about how her brother “mothered” her. Do you agree that her brother’s actions can be considered examples of mothering? Why or why not?
2. Has anyone in your life served as an unofficial (or surrogate) mother to you? Have you ever been the unofficial “mother” to someone who is not your own child? In what ways?
3. In this article, the author’s sibling played a major role in her life. What role have siblings played in your life? (If you didn’t have siblings, did you have anyone such as a cousin or friend who filled that role?)
4. When you think of the term “mother” or “motherhood”, what does it mean to you?
Although the Salon format will be different than an in-person gathering, we will adhere to our regular guidelines.
Guidelines for discussion
1. Confidentiality: What’s said here, stays here.
2. Be a good listener. Be accepting of other’s feelings and ideas.
3. This is not a therapy session. (Be careful not to criticize or give advice.)
4. Once you’ve had a turn, give everyone else a chance to speak before you contribute again.
5. Keep your comments brief. Do not ramble or monopolize the time
To Register or RSVP or for questions, please email: Oslyn at [email protected].