- General Fund – Supports the Temple’s greatest needs
Discretionary are set up for the designated person to spend for the good of our community.
- Rabbi Dean Shapiro’s Discretionary Fund
- Rabbi Jason Bonder’s Discretionary Fund
- Directors’ Discretionary Fund
- President’s Discretionary Fund
Restricted Funds are spent for designated purposes, as outlined below.
- Adult Education Fund – Support educational programs with assistance for speakers, materials, and refreshments for adult education opportunities at the Temple.
- Building Fund – Provide additional support toward the building.
- Caring Community Fund – Support members during challenging times.
- Dan Gordon Camp Scholarship Fund – Contributions directly help our kids with additional funding to help them get to camp each summer (Camps include Camp Stein and Camp Newman, but are not limited to those camps).
- Jeanne and Lester Kahn Preschool Scholarship Fund – Donations provide supplemental support to the preschool for those who have financial challenges.
- Library Fund – Additional resources to help maintain and update the library including books, equipment and reference materials.
- Music Fund – Provide additional resources to help update music supplies.
- Newman Audio Visual Fund – Contributions for assistance in repairing, improving and maintaining Temple audio/visual equipment for the classrooms, sanctuary and office.
- Oneg Fund – Donations to support Temple sponsored noshs and oneg Shabbats; including purchasing food and supplies.
- Outreach Fund – Funding to provide resources to help promote the Temple to interfaith families and unaffiliated persons to educate about our Temple, its programs and services as a way of engaging and seeking members.
- Prayer Book Fund – Contributions to help purchase new prayer books when needed.
- Professional Staff Growth Fund – Adding to Temple resources to ensure that as the congregation grows, funding is available to help grow the professional staff.
- Religious School Fund – Donations to provide additional support for Religious School programming.
- Ruach Esha Women’s Fund – This fund contributes to women’s seders or Shabb-Tones.
- Scholar in Residence Fund – This fund is used to help bring in outside professionals and scholars to provide expertise, education and information to our Temple community.
- Syndi Scheck Memorial Preschool Fund – Contributions are additional funds that are used by the Preschool to help with any additional or extra items as needed to support the growth and education received by Temple preschoolers.
- TETY Fund – Provides additional support to Temple youth programming for the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and high school students involved in the youth program.
- Torah Fund – Donations to ensure that if needed, any of our three torahs can be repaired. Also, may be used at a future time to purchase new torahs as decided by the Ritual Committee.
- Yom Hashoah Fund – Funds to purchase candles and any other items for Yom Hashoah each year.
Endowment Funds are very specific and contributions to these are added to the principal amount of the fund, with the Temple using interest accrued for the specific needs established in the endowment.
- Ann B. Ritt Art Endowment Fund – Support arts-related programming at Temple Emanuel of Tempe.
- Atid (Future) Endowment Fund – Provide Temple congregants the opportunity to participate in Jewish worship, study and Temple community.
- Flom Chesid Fund – Assist members in need.
- Flom Scholarship Fund – Provide 8th-11th graders one-time financial assistance to participate in a Jewish camp, participate in a Jewish studies program at high school or university, to visit Israel or to attend a Jewish sponsored conference or seminar.
- Robert S. Greenwood Camp Scholarship Fund – Provide financial need-based scholarships for children to attend Camp Stein.
- Rose Sperling Children’s Fund – Provide financial support to children’s programs, excluding the Yad B’Yad Preschool.
Imagine if you could provide a gift to our community that would last forever.
Creating a Jewish legacy for Temple Emanuel is a wonderful way to demonstrate your belief in the continuity of Jewish life in the Southeast Valley for generations to come. You can ensure that the lights will shine and all that you value at Temple Emanuel is sustained for future generations.
Join the L’dor Va’Dor Society by including Temple Emanuel in your will, estate plan or by beneficiary designation. Contact Beth Olson in the temple office with questions or for more information.
L’dor Va’Dor Society: Inspired giving – Lasting impact
Last year, Temple Emanuel was selected by the Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Phoenix to participate in a program that will help secure the future of our synagogue. The Harold Grinspoon Foundation created the LIFE & LEGACY™ program to provide incentives to Jewish organizations that develop end-of-life giving programs. This program is active in 23 communities around the United States and has proven extraordinarily effective in creating awareness about how our Jewish institutions can secure our financial future through an endowment fund.
Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel wrote: “We, the living, are the people of Israel. The tasks begun by our ancestors and prophets and continued by their descendants are now entrusted to us. We are either the last Jews or those who will hand over the entire past to generations to come. We will either forfeit or enrich the legacy of ages.”
A legacy fulfills a spiritual ideal. Each of us has the power to leave a legacy – one that fulfills our passions and dreams, and also one that carries on the legacy of those who came before us.
Each of us can ensure a vibrant and vital congregation for tomorrow. Simply put, a planned gift incorporated in wills, IRAs, or other end of life vehicles, which designates Temple Emanuel as a beneficiary, will build an endowment, which ensures our synagogue’s future.
The Harold Grinspoon Foundation, in partnership with the Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Phoenix, has developed a structured program which provides financial incentives to Jewish agencies that participate in of the LIFE & LEGACY program and reach certain agreed upon milestones. When we obtain 25 commitments from congregants, we will receive $10,000.
To participate, either by including Temple Emanuel in your end-of-life giving or by participating on the committee securing gifts, please contact Jocelyn Richards in the temple office.
New High Holy Days Prayerbook
The Reform movement has published a new machzor (prayer book), Mishkan HaNefesh, for the High Holy Days. Mishkan HaNefesh builds on the innovations of Mishkan T’filah, which we use on Shabbat, embracing the rich liturgical voices of the Jewish past and the aspirations of Judaism in the 21st century. It includes the traditional prayers which we cherish, new translations, and contemporary prose and poetry reflecting the themes of the Days of Awe. It also includes transliteration of all Hebrew texts to facilitate participation in worship of those who do not know Hebrew, or are just beginning to learn.
We invite you to purchase copies of this new prayer book for Temple Emanuel’s communal use in honor of or tribute to a loved one. For each two-volume set donated, you will have the option to include personalized bookplates with the name of the donor(s) and your tribute (“in honor of…” or “in memory of…”). Each two-volume set can be donated and dedicated for $42 per set.
Please select the number of sets you’d like to donate below and click “submit” to complete the dedications and payment. Each set may have a different dedication.
Do you have an old car taking up space in your garage or driveway? Donate your car to Temple Emanuel and your vehicle will be picked up and sold at auction with the proceeds benefiting the temple! Donate a car today.
Fry’s Community Rewards
Support the Yad B’Yad Preschool by linking your shopper’s reward card at Fry’s to the preschool. Link Yad B’Yad’s account number 21984 to your Fry’s card. Go here and click on Enroll Now.
We sincerely appreciate the thoughtfulness of those who support Temple Emanuel in so many ways, including by remembering and honoring their loved ones and friends through generous contributions.
Thank you for donating to Temple Emanuel.