Participate in an act of service and/or Tikkun Olam in honor of Rabbi Dean Shapiro! Our committee has provided a list of ways you can get involved from the comfort of your home, but the sky is the limit! Members will be encouraged to post and share their activities on our Facebook group page using the hashtag: #RabbiDeansMonthofService
Three committee-led ideas:
- Close Knit for the Homeless– Knit or crochet hats or headbands for the homeless (any pattern or style, adult or child size is fine). You’ll provide the materials and the finished product and drop off to the Temple before the end of the month!
- Cards for Seniors– This is a great activity for kids, adults and families. Use your creative talents to design heartfelt cards. We will be giving the cards to the residents of Brookdale of Tempe and Sterling House of Chandler to brighten their day! You can use your own supplies or pick up a pack of supplies in the “cards” box in front of the Temple.
- Feed a Friend– We will be collecting food items to donate to the Jewish Family Children’s Services food bank for young adults transitioning from foster care. We will accept any nonperishable items, but we are specifically looking for easy to prepare items (peanut butter, jelly, soups, pasta, mac and cheese, etc.) Drop these off to the Temple throughout the month of April.
“But, none of these options speak to me!” That’s okay! Perform a mitzvah that makes your heart sing.
- Teach adults in your life internet skills.
- Donate blood.
- Mow your neighbor’s lawn.
- Walk a friend’s dog while they’re at work.
- Clean out your closet and donate clothes to those in need.
There are countless more ideas at dosomething.org!
Just remember to print the second page and/or take a picture with #RabbiDeansMonthofService and post to the Members of Temple Emanuel Facebook Page.
Questions? Need supplies or further assistance? Please contact Kim Mason at 602-510-5364.
Thank you for helping others and honoring Rabbi Dean at the same time!