Hello to our amazing Temple Emanuel Community,
I hope this email finds you well.
I’m writing today with an update on re-opening our building and to share some exciting news with you!
Here’s what we’re up to:
- Beginning in late October of 2020, we are offering the option of outdoor/backyard, socially-distanced Bar and Bat Mitzvah for our families. It’s the exciting next step for our students and their families who have worked so hard and been so patient. Guests will be limited, but we will continue to Zoom/Live-Stream so that the community can be involved.
- We’re also making our final plans to offer an on-site Sunday Religious School option beginning in November. Families with students in Sunday classes have been surveyed and those interested will now have the ability to return on-site for their session(s), or stay virtual if they choose.
- Backyard socially-distanced, musical Erev Shabbat Services are being planned. We’re currently investigating the best ways to make these services accessible, comfortable and enjoyable as the weather cools down.
- What else?? We also kicked off our Racial Justice Study Group (It was so popular- we had a waitlist!), we’re engaged in increasing voter participation, our teens are “Rock-ing the Vote” in the backyard this Sunday, and our Programming committee will soon gather to brainstorm a variety of in-person and virtual Hanukkah festivities.
Things aren’t slowing down at Temple Emanuel!
Just as a recap, our Temple established four committees to oversee and offer guidance to our handling of our facilities, programming, and celebrations in the time of COVID-19. They are the compass behind the scenes, helping us move forward in the safest, wisest, and most effective ways.
- Our Values Committee met over the summer to create meaningful principals on which we based our decisions. You can read about them here.
- Our Research Committee continues to meet and re-access our plans with new research and data and the happenings from around the globe. They’ve been an integral part in helping us evolve in our knowledge, improve, and grow.
- Our Process committee worked through our first few scenarios and processes, asked important questions, and assigned tasks (and will continue to do so in the coming months).
- Members of our Communications Committee have started to delve into manuals, signage and more to make sure we’re clear and concise about what needs to ensure we stay safe when we do gather.
Religious School families will receive further communication from Sharon, our Religious School Director, and Bar/Bat Mitzvah families will connect with Chelsey, our B’nai Mitzvah Coordinator.
Please note that all of this is subject to change at any time based on the number of positive COVID-19 cases in the state of Arizona. We will do everything we can to accommodate our members while also ensuring the safety of our congregants, staff, clergy, and guests.
I hope to see you in person in 5781!
President, Board of Trustees
Temple Emanuel of Tempe